[FAR-West] far west

Bruce Hayden Folkmuse at thefolkmuse.com
Wed Nov 11 21:45:17 EST 2009

It seems to me, and correct me if I may be wrong, that the youth move is in
the Communities that are more known for stretching the limits.

At one time that was San Francisco but that was before the Dot Com revulsion
drove rent prices into the stratosphere. Berkeley area has and still is a on
the edge and stretches the limits and very likely with young folkies.

Los Angeles is a huge metropolis and who knows where or what is happening
there. There may be an about to huge movement of LA youth in Folk Music in
the LA area and we would not know it until it explodes.

In Austin, Boston, North Carolina to name a few we are seeing some of the
youth movement. Here in California we are as well but not so prominent.

Joe Craven spoke of Warren Helmen and what is now the largest music festival
in the US, the "Hardly Strictly Bluegrass" festival in San Francisco which
this year drew over 750,000 people. Warren finances that festival and it is
free, no venders no underwriters, just music and several stages.

It is Folk Music at its best, albeit not at all intimate. It is more
Woodstock without the drugs  and lack of organization than a folk festival.
Warren is doing more to introduce people to this music than any other person
I can think of. However few have any idea that it is that Folkin Music. What
they know is that it is damn good music.

I think Warren has done more to bring the youth into folk music than anyone
alive today.

Bruce Hayden
6040 Cytisus Ct.
Garden Valley, Ca. 95633
http://picasaweb.google.com/Folkmuse1
August 1-5th, 2010  American River Acoustic Music Camp
http://www.americanriveracoustic.org
Information info at americanriverfolk.org